The TRust, Independence, Impartiality and Accountability of judges and arbitrators safeguarding the rule of Law under the EU Charter (TRIIAL) project is a DG Justice supported project that provides training activities and tools for judges, lawyers, arbitrators and other legal professionals in areas of salient importance for the application of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights (CFR):
It will run from 1.01.2020 until 30.06.2022, and will organise 4 transnational workshops, 7 Cross-border and 5 National training workshops.
The TRIIAL Project proposal comes at the time of constitutional turmoil in many Member States and aims at assisting in the response of the present constitutional crisis. It addresses the priority of supporting judicial trainings of justice professionals with the aim of building public trust in the profession of judges to sustain their position.
The following specific objectives are at the heart of the project:
1) raising awareness about the impact that judicial interaction techniques have in the implementation of the fundamental rights’ legal framework, particularly CFR;
2) improving the ability of legal practitioners to promote rule of law through the application of the EU fundamental legal framework to their everyday work;
3) fostering national cross-sectoral cooperation in the implementation of EU fundamental rights legal framework in the promotion of the rule of law;
4) building trust, legitimacy, dialogue, accountability of the judiciary and arbitrators.
In the framework of selected case-law, it’s possible to access to the CJC Database, which contains cases originating from over 19 jurisdictions.
TRIIAL Project Coordinator
Tel. [+39] 055 4686 401 (Int. 3401)
Fax [+39] 055 4685 200 (Int. 2200)
Office: Villa Salviati - Manica, SAMN251
Fields of interest: Comparative constitutional law / International human rights law / Globalization of constitutionalism / Constitutional-making in democratic transitions / Comparative judicial review / Transitional constitutionalism and transitional justice / Religious rights / Freedom of expression
Administrative Assistant: Andrea Gaiba
Tel. [+39] 055 4685 708
Fax [+39] 055 4685 770
Office: Villa Schifanoia, VS028
- European University Institute (EUI) – leading partner of the project;
- Belgian Judicial Training Institute (IFG/IGO)
- Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE)
- Institute for Law and Society (INPRIS)
- Italian School for the Magistracy (SSM)
- Lisbon Centre for Research in Public Law (CIDP)
- National Association of the Romanian Bars (UNBR)
- The Hague University of Applied Sciences (THUAS)
- University of Florence (UNIFI)
- University of Gdansk (UG)
- University of Ljubjana (UL)
- University of Maastricht (UM)
- University of Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
Aida Torres Perez.
- David Kosar, Law Faculty, Masaryk University, Czech Republic;
- Petros Alikakos, European Judicial Training Network;
- Miguel Poiares Maduro, Part-time Professor at the EUI School of Transnational Governance;
- Markus Thoma, European Association of Administrative Judges;
- Miroslaw Wroblewski, Polish Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights (the Ombudsman)